Successful performance at this indicates that a paddler has the personal ability, safety, rescue and basic leadership skills required to lead trips on sheltered-moderate water with a group of paddlers who have the basic paddling skills required, but not necessarily the experience, to operate in a self-sufficient manner.
A Canoe Leader has the personal skill level and leadership ability required to lead a group of up to four solo canoe paddlers, or three tandem canoe crews (not including themselves), on moderate white water and moderate inland water. They are able to evaluate a group of paddlers to establish whether a particular trip is suitable to their level of performance or choose alternatives. The emphasis is on the application of a variety of techniques appropriate for moving water and exposed open water requiring the paddler to perform appropriate and effective manoeuvres in real situations. The Canoe Leader Award is a leadership award and not a coaching award.
The training course involves two days of personal skills and leadership.
The assessment course involves two days of personal skills and leadership.
The training and assessment package involves four days of personal skills and leadership. This course is suitable for highly experienced open canoe paddlers.
Click here: Canoe Leader
- A consistent 3 Star standard of performance is required. It is recommended that the candidate holds the 3 Star Award.
- Experience of paddling on grade 1-2 water.
- Ideally be able to swim in moving water.
- Home Nation British Canoeing Canoe Leadership Registration (LR form).
- Valid (within 3 years) two day first aid award (bring original certificate).
- Valid (within 3 years) British Canoeing Canoe Leader Training (bring original certificate).
- White Water Safety and Rescue Training Course (or Rescue 3 Whitewater Rescue Technician) within previous three years (bring original certificate).
- Evidence of paddling on grade 1-2 water and open water in a variety of conditions, both as a leader and a member.
- Provide evidence of 12 trips (minimum 4 hours duration each) that include at least: 3 different grade 2 river trips and 3 different open water journeys with winds up to Beaufort Force 4 as a member of a group, plus, 3 different grade 1-2 river trips and 3 different open water journeys with winds up to Beaufort Force 3 as an assistant leader. The journeys should involve some overnight camps.
- Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the time of assessment. Candidates under the age of 18 can take the award, but cannot be deemed responsible for leadership by law until they turn 18.
Click here for British Canoeing course registration information and documents you will need.
|Title/Location||Start Date||End Date||Cost|
|River Dart, Devon (Assessment)||
|River Dee, North Wales (Training)||
|River Dee, North Wales (Assessment)||
To book please get in touch