White Water Kayak Leader
Successful performance at this level indicates that a paddler has the personal ability, safety, rescue and basic leadership skills required to lead trips on moderate white water with a group of paddlers who have the basic paddling skills required, but not necessarily the experience, to operate in a self-sufficient manner.
A White Water Kayak Leader is able to lead a group of four paddlers (not including themselves) in appropriate locations, including moderate white water conditions. They are able to judge the conditions and the standard of the group, and make appropriate decisions along with the need to modify plans as required. The White Water Kayak Leader Award is a leadership award and not a coaching award.
The training course involves two days of personal skills and leadership.
The assessment course involves two days of personal skills and leadership.
The training and assessment package involves four days of personal skills and leadership. This course is suitable for highly experienced white water kayak paddlers.
Click here: White Water Kayak Leader
- A consistent 3 Star standard of performance is required. It is recommended that the candidate holds the 3 Star Award.
- Experience of paddling on grade 2(3) water.
- Ideally be able to swim in moving water.
- Home Nation British Canoeing White Water Kayak Leadership Registration (LR form).
- Valid (within 3 years) two day first aid award (bring original certificate).
- Valid (within 3 years) British Canoeing White Water Kayak Leader training (bring original certificate).
- White Water Safety and Rescue Training Course (or Rescue 3 Whitewater Rescue Technician) within previous three years (bring original certificate).
- Provide evidence of white water paddling in 4 different regions. This must include a variety of groups in a variety of conditions, including low to high water, and rivers that are different in nature, including small narrow rivers through to rivers with a wider more open feel to them. 12 grade 3 river trips as a member of a group and 12 grade 2(3) river trips as an assistant leader.
- Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the time of assessment. Candidates under the age of 18 can take the award, but cannot be deemed responsible for leadership by law until they turn 18.
Click here for British Canoeing course registration information and documents you will need.
|Title/Location||Start Date||End Date||Cost|
|Dartmoor, Devon (Training)||
|Dartmoor, Devon (Assessment)||
To book please get in touch